Friday, January 16, 2009

It's so weird...

It's so weird to think that before we're born, our parents have had a different set of lives entirely. I mean, sure, we know they grew up. We know where they went to college, when they were born and on and on. But it's so weird to actually think of them not in these black and white terms...but in the shades of grey.

So it's today (the day that my dad's diabetes worsens and he goes on an IV insulin daily treatment) that I went to dinner with my friend Kate at the restaurant where my parents were engaged over thirty years ago.

The photo above is of W.C. Fields and it was in the back corner of Shorty's restaurant that my dad proposed to my mom. It's the place where figuratively, I was conceived.

It's so strange to think that my parents had different lives before me. I mean, I know they did. I'm not stupid and naive. We just come to think of our parents as role models. Which is why I love hearing the stories that remind me that they at one time were stupid, young and reckless.

Take, for instance, the story of how my parents met...at the car wash. My mom was dating some other guy and my dad stole his car keys so that he couldn't get my mom home in time for her curfew. So my mom retaliated. By punching my dad in the stomach. And kneeing him where the sun doesn't (unless you're in some European countries on the beach...) shine.

Or the time my dad got my mom drunk on Southern Comfort and she had to go home...where she woke everyone up and they knew she was drunk.

Or the time my mom got out of my dad's car, accidentally slammed her winter coat in the door. My dad, who was too caught up in parking the car didn't notice my mom was caught...and she ended up being pulled down the road a good fifty feet before he realized what was going on.

I hope some day I can tell my kids amusing stories like these. I hope I can tell them about the time Honkus picked up the dirty needle in the street of downtown Pittsburgh...or the awesome surprise party my friends had for me during the summer of 2007...or about my crazy adventures in London...drinking and making an ass of myself.

This growing up thing does suck...but at the same time, I realize that there ARE things to look forward to.

And that doesn't make the future seem so ominous anymore.

--J

No comments: