Saturday, January 10, 2009

Congratulations Rolling Stone

I was out buying "Pineapple Express" last nite, when Rolling Stone's latest issue caught my attention.


In a Radar-esque way, Rolling Stone managed to write a piece of satire about our outgoing president that was witty, funny, and at times scathingly honest. I'm not someone who goes around ranting about my political beliefs (though it has been known to happen) and I've been known to rant about popular print voicing their political affiliations to the public (another long, boring rant thanks to too many Journalism classes). But this was honestly unlike anything else I've read in Rolling Stone. Then, the open letter to Obama and the Student-Teacher story? This was a slam dunk issue. Usually Rolling Stone is one of those magazines I read an article or two in and then close entirely. Not this one. Maybe some of the press was paying attention to Radar's formula.

Speaking of the greatest magazine I have ever read/received/subscribed to...I got a card in the mail this week telling me that "due to marketplace conditions, Radar Magazine has stopped publishing." Now I've read enough online about it's demise and no one else really cares, so I won't bore you with the details. In short, it's a bunch of bullshit.

But what made this so damn funny...was the fact that for the remaining amount of my subscription, I can pick from one of the subscriptions below:
  • Men's Health
  • Shape
  • Star
If I didn't reply by a certain date, I would, by default, receive Star magazine. Which apparently now I am. Till 2011. Aren't you all jealous? The fact that such a shit tabloid replaces one of my favorite pieces of written word is an insult to the awesome magazine that once was.

Oh Radar. I only wish we'd had more time together.

Love.

--J

No comments: