Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The review's in...

Punk Goes Pop, Volume 2

I was walking around Wal-Mart tonite...when I came across the latest Punk Goes... CD. The stakes were high. I absolutely love Victory's last release Punk Goes Crunk. But how is it, really? The first PGP CD was FANTASTIC. Does this one stack up?

Track One : "What Goes Around..." - Alesana
The band gets props for cutting a seven minute song into a five minute song and I love that they kept the funky beats that Timberlake had in the original...but I really, really can't stand people who constitute "screaming" as "music." I don't get the whole screamo thing. Sadly, this doesn't rate the track as a favorite.
Better Than the Original: No.

Track Two : "Apologize" - Silverstein
I loved this original song...until it was overplayed and overdone...but Silverstein puts a new twist on it, while staying true to the original. Instead of trying to put in the Timbaland bits...it just gives it a more organic vibe. I don't even mind the bit of screaming in the bridge.
Better Than the Original: Yes.

Track Three : "...Baby One More Time" - August Burns Red
I'm not going to lie. I can't even get through this whole song. I had to change it about thirty seconds into it. Constant screaaaaaaaaaming. RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Gives me a headache.
Better Than the Original: Hell to the no.

Track Four : "When I Grow Up" - Mayday Parade
We all know how I reacted when I first heard the PCD version of this song. Mayday Parade gave it a new twist and made it the enjoyable fluff that it is. Made it a bit darker though...so I really liked it.
Better Than the Original: Yes. The original "Grow Up" is still good, but this one's fresh.

Track Five : "Over My Head (Cable Car)" - A Day to Remember
I really can't remember. Was this The Fray? Did The Fray originally do this song? I can't remember because I really didn't care for the song an awful lot when it originally came out. I guess the cover's alright. They sped it up, which I like, but since I didn't really like the song before, I'm indifferent. Plus, more screaming. The screamer sounds really angry about the cable car.
Better Than the Original:
Indifferent.

Track Six : "Smooth" - Escape the Fate
I hate this song to begin with. Santana should have stopped in the 70s and not had people sing with him to make these songs that aren't that great sit on the Billboard charts for so long. I guess it's a decent cover. Not liking a song and having it be similar to the original makes for a whatever kind of reaction.
Better Than the Original:
I suppose.

Track Seven : "Ice Box" - There for Tomorrow
I honestly cannot remember this original song. But can we please discuss how funny the chorus is? "I've got an icebox where my heart used to be. I'm so cold, I'm so cold, I'm so cold." Who the hell wrote this song?! That aside, I do like this cover. Surprisingly pretty well.
Better Than the Original:
I'm assuming, yes.

Track Eight : "Flagpole Sitta" - Chiodos
Let me just say that "Flagpole Sitta" is seriously one of my favorite songs of all time. That being said, the bar is set extremely high for this song. Because I love it so much. Don't ask me why. I just do. That being said, Chiodos...no. I mean, it's not bad. It seriously is pretty good...and then they ruin it with the screaming. God. I get pissed at people for singing "untouchable" songs on idol all the time. This one is untouchable for a different reason...and it shouldn't have been touched.
Better Than the Original: No where near it.

Track Nine : "Beautiful Girls" - Bayside
I hate, hate, hate this fucking song. Hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. That being said, Bayside did a really good job on it. Made a fucking terrible song more than tolerable. Amusing, light and entertaining. I'm pleased.
Better Than the Original: Hell to the yes.

Track Ten : "See You Again" - Breathe Carolina
Um, Honkus, I know you love this song and Miley Cyrus -- and you too Mari -- but I don't know how I feel about her. Plus I got sick of this song and the Miley craze (...Okay, okay...I really, really like her "Fly on the Wall" song...especially when I'm smashed). That being said...I LOVE THIS COVER. A great cover can honestly make you fall in love with a song you weren't really crazy about before.
Better Than the Original: Yes.

Track Eleven : "Disturbia" - The Cab
I love this song -- still. And um...holy, holy, holy shit. This cover is FANTASTIC. It sticks true to the original...while being totally original in its own way. I love it. LOVE IT.
Better Than the Original: Love them both...so in some ways, yes...but others no.

Track Twelve : "Toxic" - A Static Lullaby
Um, I'm hopeful, but wary. "Toxic" is one of my ultimate favorite Brit songs. August Burns Red did ruin another Brit classic after all. But honestly, I'm confused. I like it...but there's screaming...but for this song, it honestly works (especially since it isn't all the way through). I like it.
Better Than the Original: Nothing touches the original...but it's one of the better Brit covers I've heard (Lily Allen's "Womanizer" aside).

Track Thirteen : "Love Song" - Four Years Strong
Another overplayed Top 100 Billboard song. Pandora is always trying to get me to listen to Sara Bareilles because I like Lily Allen and I'm not falling for it. Anyway. That aside, this is a great cover. Makes an overplayed song new again. I'm liking it.
Better Than the Original: Yes.

Track Fourteen : "I Kissed a Girl" - Attack Attack!
Cobra Starship's take of Perry's song is a classic...but this one really is pretty good. It's got a techno beat thing going on in it that just works. Plus, Cobra Starship somewhat rewrote the song. This is more of a cover. Entertaining and a nice change.
Better Than the Original: Undecided.

Overall Opinion: Not as good as the first Punk Goes Pop CD, but it has some really fantastic covers on it.

Leave Em: "...Baby One More Time" & "Smooth"

Download:
"See You Again" & "Disturbia"

No comments: