Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Current Obsession : The United States of Tara

I think that Showtime has surpassed HBO's original programming. When I was living at Point Park, I would watch loads of HBO. I loved their series, their original films...so on so forth. But recently, Showtime's programming has honestly kicked their ass. HBO's gotten boring. Besides "Big Love," I just can't find myself getting excited about any of their original series.

Showtime stole the torch from them with "Dexter." I've read all of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter novels...and the show, seriously, does not disappoint, whatsoever. Michael C. Hall IS the Dexter I picture when I read the novels. It's uncanny. There's a reason why the guy keeps getting nominated for awards. If the Academy would only recongnize his talent...

But anyway, this isn't a long rant about my love affair with Dexter. Instead, it's a declaration for Showtime's latest series..."The United States of Tara."

Toni Collette's portrayal of a woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder is phenomenal. Of course, I have to give huge props to Diablo Cody (the writer of "Juno") because it's her scripting that makes the show so fantastic. It would be so easy to focus on the problems of Tara...but Cody manages to actually go that extra step...showing how it interacts with her relationships with family and would-be friends. It's an honest, personal portrayel of a woman with multiple personalities...Diablo Cody really should be commended for such incredible scripts.

But my rave for Diablo Cody's writing aside, the show is just amazing. The actors make you forget what you're watching is television. You seriously feel like you know these people and struggle right along with them.

So anyway. Raving aside...I love this show. And if you have an internet connection and thirty minutes to look it up online, I think you would too. :)

--J

No comments: