Sunday, February 8, 2009

An Open Letter to Yogurt

Dear Yogurt-

I've been on this kick lately to eat healthier. Part of this involves actually going to the grocery store with my mom and picking out healthier snacks for work and lunch.

And I always find myself standing in front of the case where you reside in dairy.

As a child, I used to tug my mother to your aisle and force her to stand there while I picked out what type of yogurt I was going to buy.

I would be so excited to see those cartons all lined up. Strawberry? Blueberry? Raspberry? What kind would I take home and immediately rip into?

And once I got home and I had you in my hands with a spoon, I would peel your top off (God, this sounds dirty), mix your fruit up from the bottom...and take that first bite.

Which is where my yogurt confession comes in.

I absolutely, one hundred and fifty thousand percent detest yogurt.

I hate the taste of it. It doesn't matter if it's the kind you mix the fruit off the bottom, smooth and creamy, whipped...hell, not even that Creamsavers kind of yogurt can turn me. There's just something about that bizarre taste and consistency that lingers with yogurt.

But for some reason, I continually go back to the yogurt case. For some reason, I'm convinced that maybe, just maybe, my opinion of you would have changed. But alas, I still hate yogurt. I mean, sure, I can eat it in a smoothie when its blended with fresh fruit...but alone? Out of the container?

So today, I decided to go back to the yogurt freezer...and decided upon some Yoplait Whipped Light and Flurry Orange Creme yogurt. I mean, it's whipped. It couldn't possibly have that flavor that all other Yoplait has, rite?

Wrong.

And now, I sit here, staring at the empty carton (I have no problem throwing away a five dollar sandwich I hate...but an 80 cent yogurt going to waste makes me feel guilty)...wondering how the hell I'm going to get through the rest of the yogurt I felt it was necessary to purchase today.

Why do you keep pulling me back into your clutches, yogurt? Why?

--J

1 comment:

Mari said...

Dear Julie,

try gogurt - freeze it and then eat it. taste like a Popsicle.

Love yogurt.