Sunday, November 23, 2008

Yet Another Good Magazine Bites the Dust

Can someone please tell me why it is that all the 'good things' in my life just disappear? Now, I know that this may sound incredibly emo and depressing...but I'm not talking about relationships...or jobs...or whatever.

I'm talking about 'Radar' magazine.

The summer before my last year at college, I happened to get a subscription to the magazine...not knowing really what it was about or what type of content they featured.

When that first Photoshopped cover showed up in my mailbox, however, I knew I was in love.

The article and the photos were incredibly well done. The content was witty, but intelligent. For the first time ever, I could read an entire magazine cover to cover and come out of it feeling entertained, but educated.

And when a new issue didn't arrive this month, I figured, "Hey...Maybe it was a double issue."

And then when I went to change my subscription address...I get an error message. After a quick search on Google, what do I find? The magazine "shuttered" meaning that its financial backing was pulled.

All I can wonder is why?

Radar was witty and entertaining. It was thoughtful. It was funny. It covered the 'case' of Prince Harry. They questioned what would happen if Google took over the world. They wrote thoughtful columns on toy ponies and relationships.

In a whole, it was awesome.

There is no other magazine like it on newsstands...and I can't help but feel cheated.

How is it that financial backing can get pulled on a successful magazine like 'Radar' who's first issue during their relaunch sold out and has been going strong since that relaunch? Why shut down a magazine that was heavily debated for its covers on 'The View' and 'CNN'? Why take away my 'fresh intelligence'?

I don't understand how copies of crap magazines like 'Glamour' and 'Interview' can hold financial backing. Trust me, I've subscribed to both and not only skipped half the articles...but felt like I learned absolutely nothing when I was done reading.

When did publications become so vain and brainless?

'Radar' came to me during a time when I was wondering what the hell I was doing majoring in Media...when I thought that working for a witty publication was still possible. Now what? Now who can I aspire to work for? Certainly not 'Cosmopolitan.'

I know that financial backers look for general trends with the people who buy their products, but I'm sick of being one of the few who doesn't fit into a mass mold of readers. I know plenty of people who read 'Radar' for the mere fact that it was different. As a reader, they took something away from the magazine other than a new make up tip or where to buy the new 'IT' shoe.

'Radar' magazine gave me hope that an intelligent but interesting magazine could exist...and now that it's gone, there's this huge gap.

And sadly, I don't think that any magazine will ever take its place.

No comments: