Friday, November 28, 2008

Breathe you out...

Found this survey from a site I searched on Google.

PERSONAL SURVEY

Did you have a happy childhood? I had an interesting childhood. I'd like to think it was happy...but it wasn't always. Sure...you're naive, but looking back on some things, it wasn't all sunshine. I can remember when my OCD started. I remember how I figured everyone must be like that...and then when I realized that wasn't the way things were...I was crushed. I fear I made an ass of myself and acted terribly horrid at times...but all together, I can't say my childhood was unhappy...so yeah. I guess it was alright.

When do you tell white lies? Tell us one. Only all the time. I feel like my life isn't interesting enough...so at times, I'll add more to a story to make it more interesting. I don't really do this as much with my friends, because you don't lie to friends. I find myself making up little things with my parents though. When I was living in North Carolina, I lied to a lot of people and told them I was doing better...when in actuality, I was doing worse. My OCD flared up along with my anxiety. Moving back to PA has grounded me again and made me much easier to deal with (I hope).

The most capable person in your country? The American public. If this election proved anything to me...it's that everyone has a voice. America belonged to the actual public again...not the politicians. It doesn't matter who you voted for or your beliefs. It was just really refreshing to see people so vocal about issues that they stood in the background about before. Things may be going to shit, but we all wanted change and the 2008 elections proved that to me by mere voter turnout.

Favourite novelist? This is where I should name some classic author like Dickinson or Hemingway...but while I like and admire the both of them...my favorite novelist is Megan McCafferty. Her first two novels "Sloppy Firsts" and "Second Helpings" changed my life. The voice of McCafferty's protagonist -- Jessica Darling -- was the first literary character that I could fully relate to 100%. She was sarcastic. She was honest. She was funny...she was me if I were a literary character. The 3rd and 4th books haven't been as awesome (I believe the fifth and final in the series will tie it all together and make me love each and every book), but they only mangaed to humble and make Jess much more human. It was the first time that I read a book and actually felt like every character was someone that I knew from my own life.

Proudest moment? Studying abroad in London. When I decided to study abroad, I was in a really dark place in my life. I saw studying abroad as the one way to pull myself out of my funk...and it worked. The girl who got on that plane and the girl who returned home four months later are two entirely different people. The old Julie was naive and said things she didn't think about. She let people walk all over her. She didn't accept the changes that were so obviously occuring in front of her eyes. The new Julie severed ties with things that were obviously holding her back. She solidified those relationships that meant the most to her. She stood up for herself and what she believed in. I love the new Julie. A lot of people may see it as bitchiness or nastiness...but I see it has honest. It's nice to not let people tramp all over me anymore.

Worst moment? (last week if necessary) The spring of 2006. This was one of the hardest times of my life. My friends were all leaving Point Park and I was in a really weird place. My grandpa who I'd been super close had just died. I was having problems with some really really close friends that I always thought would stick around. I was having severe issues with anemia. This was the semester that I decided to go to London.

Most hated song/music at the moment? Kanye West. Everyone else sees him as a "music genius." I just think he's a huge asshole.

The last piece of music you bought? I haven't bought anything lately. I have been listening to a lot of Girls Aloud, All Saints, and Britney lately though.

Were you good at school? I was in college. During High School, I worked...but not to my full capacity. I felt like at college, I had to make it count. I was paying for it. I was getting a degree. I didn't want to coast by. I wanted to know that my degree was well deserved.

The greatest influence on you? (parents, friends ...) My family and friends...as predictable as that sounds. My family has always been supporting...even in my darkest times. My friends have always understood me. They don't expect me to put on an act or act like someone that I'm not. They accept Julie for Julie...flaws and all. My friends are like my family.

Current bedside reading material? Emily Giffin's "Something Borrowed." I accidently found this novel...but I love it. Giffin's plots are different which is refreshing in an oversaturated literary market. Also...Chelsea Cain's "Heart Sick." It was praised by Chuck Palahniuk and Tess Gerritsen (two of my favorite authors) and is one of the first 'thriller' novels that has shocked me and kept me on my toes in a very long time.

Where will you go when you die? Death is something that scares the shit out of me. I will not elaborate on this question.

What do you admire most about yourself? My newfound confidence. For so long, I just buried my head in the sand and did what was expected of me. I let people take advantage of me. I think I'm much stronger now. Instead of listening to all the ways that I've wronged people, I've moved forward. The past is the past. I've learned from it. There's no need to reflect on it. I'm in a much more positive place. I've got a great support system and people who seem to really, honestly get me and my fucked up personality.

One of your main faults? Closing myself off. Whenever I get upset, instead of talking to the people who love me most and are the most willing to help...I crouch inside myself and hide. I need to let these people in...not block them out. That's a huge fault. I love and trust these people with my life...but I hate being their burden.

A small crime you once committed? (anything at all) Speeding on my 22nd birthday. It's only fitting that Honkus got to share this experience with me. It scared the shit out of me and made me feel like shit...expecially since I was jank ass broke at the time. Paying a $150 speeding ticket was not a part of the plan.

Music you would like played at your funeral? Anything by Ryan Adams. His music is just so refreshing and honest...something I've really tried to live myself by the past few years.

No comments: