Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Jury's Still Out...

on how I feel about The White Tie Affair.

The brief few months I spent in North Carolina were lonely, lonely months. I spent most of them in my room. Alone. With nothing to do and no one to talk to.

So I watched eons of movies and television shows.

...Unfortunately one of them was "The Hills."

I'll admit it. I've been watching "The Hills" since it began. For some reason...I can't stop watching it. Sure, it isn't as juicy as it used to be. Sure, it's predictable. Sure, sure, sure.

But it's a mess...and I can't look away. (I did watch the first two episodes of 'The City' tonight and I must admit...I like it.)

This past season the show had various 'celebrities' on it...from Lady Gaga to the White Tie Affair...an "up and coming band" from California.

On the show, I absolutely loved their music. It was catchy, it was fun.

And I couldn't find it online anywhere.

So over the weekend, imagine my surprise when I found their CD "Walk This Way" at Target in the 'Red Zone' area for new artists.

Needless to say, I snatched it up, thinking I was going to absolutely love it.

What I feel, after listening to the entire CD and watching their two music videos for "Allow Me to Introduce Myself...Mr. Right" and "Candle (Sick and Tired)"...I don't know. I don't really feel the love. But I'm not totally hating it either.

The two singles off the record are great. I'll admit it. The rest of the CD clashes in a way that just confuses me. There are so many ideas and sounds that the band's trying to pursue that it just gets messy. They go from being totally original to being a knock off love child of The Killers and Maroon 5. I just can't get into it for some reason.

And then I made the mistake of watching those two videos on YouTube. "Allow Me to Introduce Myself" seriously is just a massive orgy where the guys could get chicks to make out on camera and act like they're hot stuff. Totally lame...

Not to mention, the singer's face kind of terrifies me. It doesn't move. It's stoic.

"Candle" is supposed to be a loosely based sequel to "Allow Me to Introduce Myself" and it's just pointless.

I watched them, listened to the music again and instead of being totally pumped up about it, was a bit let down.

The jury's out on how I feel about the White Tie Affair. Like I said, I don't hate them...but I certainly think I could live without the entire CD.

Fin.

1 comment:

Mari said...

they were good live. although the room was filled with 12 year old girls who screamed everytime the singer did anything - i'm so sick of 12 year olds going to concerts and complaining about everything and then whinning when they cant get close enough to the stage because they were up there to begin with but then they got hot and cried everytime some pushed them.
whoa that was unexpected. haha but anywho they were pretty good.