Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An Open Letter to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pittsburgh Drivers

To the Aforementioned:

This morning -- January 22, 2008 -- I left my apartment at approximately 10:20 AM to make it to a class an hour later. What normally takes me a mere 8 minute drive to school took me well triple that. It is because of the below reasons. I wish you would read them and hopefully take note of this.

Approximately 10:35, my shuttle pulled out. It was snowing today, but nothing heavy or whiteout, I assure you. If anything, it was a light flurry. I should know the snow, because I grew up in Northwestern Pennsylvania. Ever heard of Lake Effect Snow? Well let me tell you. Lake Effect Snow's idea of a 'flurry' IS a whiteout. Judging from the looks of things on 5th Avenue (which took us 20 minutes to get through, by the way), you would have thought that we had thirteen thousand feet of snow and had become the fucking Arctic. Drivers were going about three miles an hour...and then we encountered another shuttle on the exit that seemed to go about one mile an hour.

My point to Pittsburgh drivers is this:

LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

You would think that the Ice Age was upon us or that modern day cars moved at the pace of a snail. THEY DON'T. For all the 'defensive' driving you assholes do, you think you'd be speeding along in a flurry. You have four wheel drive. If you think it's that bad out, USE IT. If the snow terrifies you that much, then here's an idea...STAY OFF THE ROADS. Don't drive your car and waste your expensive gasoline. Take public transportation. Granted, that would require a bit of walking and a possible wait, but for God's sake, it'd spare the rest of us a little sanity.

As for you good old PENNDOT. I know that you seem to think that the good old Department of Transportation needs to fix the Boulevard of the Allies...but did you have to start construction in the middle of fucking JANUARY?! You know that people in Pittsburgh can't drive for shit in snow, so what do you do? Shut down one of the most used roads as if to spite those of us who grew up in places where people can drive. It's like you know it pisses us off and you're sadists that get off on this aggravation.

By the time that I finally did arrive at school, it was 11:10 and my class was about to start. By that point, however, the last thing I felt like learning about was American Literature. If anything, I wanted to go to the nearest bar and work on Getting Trashed 101...at 11:10 AM.

Use your heads. Pittsburgh Drivers + The LIGHTEST spattering of snow + Construction = A FUCKING NIGHTMARE.

This construction possibly COULDN'T wait till the spring when the greatest precipitation is rain and Pittsburgh drivers speed through it like it's just a fine mist on their windshields?

Learn how to drive and learn how people in this city drive.

Maybe then you'll see a difference.

--"Pissed off in Pittsburgh"

No comments: