Sunday, December 6, 2009

Somewhat Slightly (Make That Very) Irritated

Normally I absolutely love Entertainment Weekly, but I've got to express some irritation at the fact that the magazine named Beyonce one of their 15 Entertainers of the Decade (and Justin Timberlake too), but make no room for Britney Spears on their list.

Spears has been THE spotlight "It Girl" for the past ten years. And in the past year, she's been the top concert grosser.

EDIT

Chopped a huge hunk of this rant out. I don't want to seem petty or sour...so instead, I just sent EW this e-mail, which I think sums things up nicely.

Entertainment Weekly:
As spot on as some of your "Entertainers of the Decade" selections were, I couldn't help but notice a huge gaping hole where Britney Spears should have been. Not only has Spears been ranked as the eighth best-selling female recording artist in the United States, she's also the fifth best-selling artist of the decade, as well as the top-selling female artist. Sure she's been tabloid fodder for the last ten years, but she's also been a trendsetter and an amazing entertainer that love her or hate her, still has people talking. The only thing that made your list bittersweet for me was the fact that EW's readers seem to realize her pop cultural relevance these past ten years by demanding you give her a place on your Readers' Choice Entertainers of the Decade list. It's nice to know that my fellow readers know what constitutes a real "Entertainer of the Decade."

Off to steam some more.

No comments: